Jethro Coffin, who built the Oldest House on Sunset Hill in 1686 (http://www.nha.org/sites/oldesthouse.html), had this house built for his son Josiah in 1724. It is probably the oldest house in Nantucket town that is still standing on its original foundation. The house stayed in the Coffin family, their descendants and relatives, until 1925, when it was purchased by the family of the present owners. It has been maintained in close to the original condition for the past 280 years, although plumbing, electricity and a kitchen wing were added in the 19th century and a small bedroom wing in the 20th. The house is widely illustrated in books about Nantucket, such as Early Nantucket and its Whale Houses, by Henry Chandlee Foreman, where it is pictured on the front cover, and Robert Gambee’s 2001 Nantucket Impressions, as well as his earlier books on Nantucket.